How to know when car tyres need replacing
- Look for the wear indicators in the major grooves. Replace the tyre immediately when the tread wear indicator shows.
- Check for minimum tread depth using the tread depth measure.
- Perform a visual inspection of the tread and sidewall. If there is any exposed steel or fabric and if any material is visible, have the tyre(s) replaced immediately.
How to replace a tyre
Rims of different diameters and tapers cannot be interchanged. The top right diagrams illustrate the difference between rims of two different tapers and diameters.
- Pry off the wheel cover.
- Loosen the lug nuts
- Jack up the vehicle about 6 inches off the ground.
- Remove a tyre and wheel from a vehicle.
- After separating the tyre and wheel, replace with a new tyre.
- Check tyre balance.
- Lower the car to the ground fully and remove the jack. Finish tightening the nuts and replace the hubcap.
- Install the newly fitted tyre and wheel on a vehicle.